I've been at work these past few weeks on Realms of Quest IV for the Commodore VIC-20. I've planned the following features and constraints for this project:
- 8 character party
- 10 races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Gnoll, Gnome, Kobold, Ogre, Orc, Sprite
- 12 classes: Fighter, Wizard, Priest, Thief, Bard, Lord, Monk, Sage, Ninja, Paladin, Peasant, Ranger
- Aging will be a factor
- The weaker class/race characters will tend to advance in levels quicker than those stronger class/race characters. So an Ogre Peasant will level up a lot faster than an Elf Lord.
- There won't be any race restrictions for classes, as long as the requirements are met, you can create any character you like. You can have a Gnoll Wizard if you like
- The adventure will take place in a 10 level dungeon that will be designed by hand (instead of being procedurally generated like in Realms 2 and 3) with various puzzles and pitfalls. There will even be NPCs that you will encounter along the way.
- 3 rows of monsters during combat
- 60 Wizard and Priest spells
- It will be a Wizardry-style dungeon crawler which shows 64x64 pixel images at the upper left corner of the screen.
The system requirements will be 16KB RAM Expansion + Disk Drive. I will try to use up as much of the 170KB disk that the game takes place in.
I will mostly post updates and document my progress on the VIC-20 Denial forum here: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6350